En Plein Air- What's Your Favorite Size En Plein Air Paintings
Last year I painted across America, from Texas through various states. I drew out a 2 or 3 day drive into about a week, so that I could take my time En Plein Air Painting, as I went.
Before I went, I was not in many painting organizations. One gallery, artist co-op, that favored smaller sizes of Studio works, was my only gallery for my paintings at that time. I decided to pack for 1) An Art Conference, I was attending for 3-4 days in North Carolina, and then focus on small studies in pastels, oils, and I even took acrylic paints with me, along with my watercolors.
I bought 100 mats to go aroun 4" x 6", took 15 6" x 6" canvas boards or panels, and had frames for each. I gessoed or had an assistant gesso a slew of 7" x 5" canvases, and had metal frames for about 7 of those. A lot of prep work so I could use the studies for larger works without risking damage on my 3 week + trip. Prep was key, and I'm glad I did it.
I met some folks along the way, who inquired about my pastel work, and I sold a watercolor to , before the sun came up, the owner of The Dillboro Inn, a wonderful riverside B&B unlike you've ever seen! More about Where I painted that day, and the fabulous views can be found here. https://www.dillsboroinn.com/
I got to sit right over the New River and paint. The Walkway that would have been to the left of me, had been swept away in a storm, and the river was still swollen. More about The New River here-
https://www.ncpedia.org/rivers/new
I actually did a small nocturn early in the morning, before the sun came up, because I was so excited to begin painting, I couldn't tell my self it was too earlyto get up. Although, when I did go out on the balcony overlooking the river, I made certain to avoid the danger tape, that I had been told not to go past.
I painted 4-5 small study paintings before retiring for the morning to the hot tub that looked over the New River. One of those paintings was the only painting I sold along my 3 week travels last year, yet I had grand fun on the trip!
After that night I went on to create in the Art Conference, and then drove to the coast, and painting on an island in North Carolina, stayed a week, and then drove to the coast of Virginia, where I painted on the Rappahannock River, or at least a tributary of it that swelled with high tide, and is known for some of the best oysters, and many varieties and flavors of oysters.
The only thing I hadn't thought of about the size of my En Plein Air Paintings, was "What size do most collectors prefer?" What size do most galleries that like En Plein Air Paintings, prefer?" What size is painted most frequently as a small painting in En Plein Air Events?" These things had not yet entered my head because, quite frankly, I simply wanted to be productive, be engaged, be loving the experience of the journey cross country, free to drive, and paint, and lodge in a variety of states and places that I hadn't tried to paint at before.
However, it does make sence, now that I am in a handfull of art organizations, that sponsor competitions and shows, to learn this information. Example: Outdoor Painters Society Associate Show and Sale was Titled, "Plein Vision In Miniature". At first thought I was super excited about my small studies, until I discovered for that organization, 8" x 10" was what they considered miniature.
As artists, we need to be able to adapt, to various views of what sizing is considered too small for a show, or too large for a show.
So here's a thought. Before you as an artist embark on a large scale trip, that you hope to "paint and sell" along the way or use after to get into shows, consider the questions I did consider...framing, because a framed painting is an easier sell when wet. Canvas prep, because that extra layer of gesso can make a difference in the professional look of a work, when just starting out and buying canvases in bulfk packs. Storage, because a damaged painting does none of us any good. Ease of clean-up, because you do not want yur car to become a mess while on a cross country trip.
Yet also, think about size that conveys "professional painter". A 6" x 6" framed is the size I sold on my trip, yet I've only seen one large gallery that has sold lots of that size. And I'm trying to explore what sizes may be best, for my Texas trips. Now, I'm creating as large as 10" x20" En Plein Air Oils, and 20.5" x 28.5" in Pastel, (again, ease of clean up.
Yet I have heard other professional artists claim that a 6" x 8" is an ideal size to sell wet off the easel, with a frame. I went to En PLein Air Texas, and had that confirmed, by watching their Concho Pearls Competition, where they used 6" x 8" framed "little gems" of a painting, as one of their last events of the week, before the Roping Paint Out.
Additioanlly, I explored some En Plein Air Events that are looking for painters for 2021. One in Virginia, I had looked at mentioned
6" x 8" paintings as a special event, "So that everyone can add to their collections".
Now...since I had been entering miniature shows where a 6" x 6" or 2" x 3" can be valued in the $500+ range, this is a new concept to me that smaller, may equal a low price. It's not one that I buy into. I know the connection of buyer to the painting is the most important, and then the location of where the painting "will work" within a room.
I have one business named, "Art For Small Spaces". It doesn't mean cheap art. It means that even those tiny home dwellers, that are becoming popular with young professionals not willing to give up their ability to move on short notice or with the change of the seasons, can even have an art collection in their home. Yet, I digress a bit.
Ultimately, what do the collectors on FASO believe is a good sized art work to collect for 1) The Collector who has so many they are considering storage space so they can keep collecting, and change out the art in their home, with the seasons. 2) What is the ideal size for that small home or Tiny Home Dweller? 3) What size to new art collectors prefer to "pick up" at an event they attend, to begin their collection? Is it a 6" x 8"? What are your thoughts?
Read More
